About Matt Kincaid:
Why don’t we speak up more often at work? Or in our day-to-day lives when we have something to say? What holds us back? What can we do about it? Whose responsibility is it to make sure we feel safe sharing our ideas?
Matt Kincaid is the co-author of the new book, Say Anything: How Leaders Inspire Ideas, Cultivate Candor, and Forge Fearless Cultures. He shows us exactly how to identify what is holding us back, how to move past it, and more importantly how we can create environments where ideas and opinions are respected and innovation thrives!
Matt had a friend of his come and talk to him about something that happened SEVERAL years prior that wasn't sitting well. The friend had cut corners on a house painting job he had done for an elderly customer while working for Matt.
Matt couldn't shake this conversation. It led him down a path exploring questions around why, as a leader, people don't tell you things.
His book with co-author Doug Crandall, Say Anything, shows us ways to break down the communication barriers that happen due to the dynamics of hierarchies of all kinds, in the employment space and outside of it.
As employees, we need to get to the root of what's shaped our worldview and beliefs.
As employers, we need to take responsibility for creating a friendly, positive work environment where everyone feels free to speak their ideas and opinions.
What You Will Learn:
- The three things that stop most people from speaking up at work and at home.
- How leaders can create a safe space where everyone feels comfortable voicing their thoughts and opinions.
- The importance of vulnerability in building trust and the relationship between trust and credibility.
Relevant Links and Resources:
For more information on gaining clarity and breaking through the barriers holding you back:
- The HTYC Mindset: Identify the Results You Want First!
- HTYC 049 The Magic of Motion with Ritchie Norton
- HTYC 054 Revolutionize Your Career with CK Bray
- HTYC 061 How to Approach Your Career Scientifically with Adarsh Pandit
- HTYC 062 Merging Identities as Part of Your Career Transition with Chris Wilson
- HTYC 064 Passion Project to Dream Job with Mark McClung
- HTYC 069 It’s Now or Never with Doc Kennedy
- HTYC 071 Get Intentional, Get Results with Olivia Gamber
- HTYC 074 Fear Means “Go!” with Greg Faxon
Also mentioned in the episode:
Get in touch with Matt!
Get in touch with us!
Love the show?
Subscribe to the Happen to Your Career podcast:
We would LOVE it if you would consider leaving us a review! Each review allows us to reach more folks just like you and help them “Happen” to their careers!
Get the support, information, and encouragement you need to move to work you’ll love!
Want help finding the work that fits YOU?