Marketing Team Leader / Senior Marketing Manager (Full Time)
At Happen to Your Career we are a small, rapidly growing, company that helps people create and find fulfilling work, one person at a time.
We value unconventional results, using your strengths to succeed and to help our company grow in order to be able to help as many people as we possibly can.
Your primary role is to help us achieve explosive growth each year (for the purpose of helping even more people get to their own version of fulfilling work).
Specifically, this means your mission over the next 12 months would be reaching enough people and building relationships with enough people to go from our current rate of 35% growth to 100%+ growth, year over year.
WHAT YOU DO (THE SUPER SHORT VERSION):
- Immediately, you’ll use data, metrics and ROI to establish priorities to recognize key opportunities that cause us to double the number of people we reach (and who pay us for help) in the next year.
- You’ll build on our current strategies of creating PoP Content through published books and podcasts to expand our reach and build relationships
- You’ll build a marketing team and have 1 member already on your Marketing team (her name is Samantha she’s freaking fantastic)
KEY RESULTS AREAS (THIS IS HOW YOU KNOW IF YOU’RE DOING A STELLAR JOB):
- Tripling our reach to our target market (we only care about reaching the people we are best fit to help).
- Our calls scheduled (We call them First Time Conversations) are tripling in 12 months
- You’re continually improving conversions in everything you touch (funnels, nurture sequences, landing pages, emails, etc.).
- Finding unconventional and innovative ways to help us grow explosively (100% YoY or more).
- Removing anything that is extra that gets in the way of the three above. (And helping us prioritize how to use our resources.) Helping us eliminate what isn’t working and focus our time on what does.
- We are making changes because of data that has been produced by you. (The Product Market Fit (PMF) is right on and the data shows.)
The longer version of WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Faithfully executes the business plan, achieving or exceeding planned Objectives.
- Leads, manages, and holds the team accountable for achieving agreed-upon commitments. We run a remote team with team members spread all over the world.
- Growth Hacking. We don’t have to explain what “growth hacking” is. You’ll find unconventional hacks for marketing and new users with minimal resources. *If you don’t have growth hacking experience, there’s no need to apply.
- Full Stack Marketing: Especially content marketing (SEO, Podcast, and Email) marketing data and analytics (using ROI to drive decisions), and paid search and advertising.
- Resolving issues effectively—seeing real problems, being comfortable with conflict, calling out the problems, and solving the problems in a practical and healthy manner. Ensures the leadership team is healthy, functional, and cohesive.
- Ensures that everyone is truly following, and adhering to, the company’s core processes and operating system with consistency. Demonstrates effective project management skills.
- Effectively collaborates with the CEO, and Director of Operations, and Team Leader of ETO (Sales) and stays on the same page.
- Confirms that all key messages are properly and consistently cascaded across the organization. Inherently ensures that everyone is in the know. Verifies that a high level of effective communication exists throughout the organization.
- Optimizing all content and marketing to meet our goals: create all our content for the purpose to educate, give hope, empower people to share, allow for people to opt-in/continue to engage and above all be genuinely helpful, personal, and stand out.
- Ideation and development: Work with CEO and other content team members to give voice to our self-development concepts, frameworks, and tools in podcasts, blog posts, videos, live workshops, webinars, and online courses.
- Marketing Operations: Work within brand voice to create, update, and refine blog posts, guest posts on other sites, teaching notes, course video scripts, slide decks, workbooks, bonuses, and ancillary materials as needed. GOAL: Making sure that what we put into the world is “Anti-Vanilla” and different material (and fits our values below).
- Analytics and Testing: A/B Testing and continually monitoring Analytics, Experiments and Tests will be a constant part of your role. You will be the Analytics Expert on the team and should have lots of Google analytics expertise.
- Curation: Update and integrate existing intellectual assets into relevant formats (ex. old blog posts and podcasts into new guides and more relevant posts).
- Production: Work with Content Team to produce audio, video, PDF, design elements and other content. Populate course sites for multiple products. Coordinate any necessary transcription, copywriting, video, audio, and/or design needs.
- Coordination and Project Management: Participate in weekly meetings with COO and other content creators on team projects. Hire and supervise contractors (e.g., writers, audio/video producers, editors, designers, proofers, creatives, etc.) to ensure clear communication regarding deadlines, deliverables, etc.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO:
- Detests “normal” marketing – You hate manipulative practices that many orgs use and appreciate finding creative unique ways to build trust with audiences digitally (and in real life)
- Already has 5+ years experience growth hacking or marketing (ideally both) – You’ve already helped other organizations find low cost ways to grow and retain their customer and user base. You’re obsessive, curious and analytical when it comes to finding these opportunities
- Demonstrates a relentless obsession with values alignment, focus, simplicity, and clarity. Period
- It’s not your first rodeo with leading teams and project management. 5+ Years of both is a must. Many of our projects take weeks or months to complete and have multiple people involved. Being a leader and an executor simultaneously is something you enjoy immensely, especially when you have the freedom to decide how it’s done.
- It floats your boat when you think about creating world class really really helpful content: We want to push the boundaries of creating incredible value driven highly personalized, highly emotional and medium snarky content for our audience. (It’s ok if you’re drooling a bit right now.)
- You can execute much quicker than the average person: You’re used to running laps around the other people in corporate America.
- You can’t help making things better: Continuous improvement is just a way of life for you. This includes making yourself better.
- Loves the data in marketing: In fact you’ve probably talked to someone about one of these in the last 24 hours. You can’t help it, it’s cool. Let your Nerd Flag fly.
- You don’t have to google SEO or SEM or CPM or TACOCAT spelled forward or backward (that last one is just for fun): You do understand SEO in content marketing and have used it (with the URLs to prove it).
- Knows what the backend of a WordPress site looks like, when I say trade out the images on the About page or replace the Payment links on the sales page it doesn’t faze you, you either already know what it is or you are confident you can figure it out.
- Understands Direct Response Copywriting: You have a proven ability to get people to take action through content. You enjoy the challenge of helping people move to action with words and visuals. (We will look for examples of this.)
- You find solutions: You can’t help it, when something goes wrong you have a “I will figure this out and make it happen” mentality about you.
- You’ve worked remotely before -This is a 100% remote work position – You must have worked remotely before (Bonus if you’ve led remote teams.)
Non-Requirements (this means Bonus Points if you have them):
- Worked with lots of different industries, ages, types of jobs etc. (Variety is appreciated, our students and clients come from all backgrounds).
- Have made lots of big career changes yourself.
- Already are very familiar with our brand and what we stand for – HINT our podcast is a great way to become familiar with what we do https://happentoyourcareer.com/podcast
- You’ve used scrum, kaizen, or agile work methodologies. (We use these for helping our clients progress and for our own company work)
Happen To Your Career Values (We live by these, not even kidding):
Be Ridiculously Helpful – We take care of our people and their people too. We treat others like humans and we exceed expectations in every interaction.
Signature Strengths – We do what we are the best at. We use our uniqueness and what we enjoy doing. We enable everyone around us do the same.
It’s Personal – We want every single touch to feel like we care – because we do. This isn’t just work, it’s a representation of us, our clients and how we impact the world.
One Life – We go for what scares us; we intentionally get outside our comfort zones and push ourselves and everyone we interact with for growth and we have fun doing it.
Leverage – We use technology and systems to do anything that a human doesn’t need to. We use science and research to influence how we do work (and how we teach others to do work and life).
Give Pareto a hug – we fail often and fast and make mistakes early and are transparent about them. We remove what isn’t working and relentlessly seek out and prioritize the top 4% of what works; We call this out every opportunity.
This is a nearly 100% remote work project position. The only exception to this is we will get the entire team together a few times each year (usually 2-3) partially because we actually like each other and partially because it’s important to do certain types of work in person.
Check out this Handbook to Working With Scott for more info about how we work.