HTYC COACHING AGREEMENT
Coaching Onboarding Information and Terms and Conditions
Woohoo! Congratulations on taking this step toward work that will light you up and leave you feeling fulfilled and satisfied! We are quite excited you chose to work with us, and look forward to coaching you to accomplish your career-related goals.
Coaching Nuts and Bolts – Here’s how coaching with us works:
Coaching conversations are 45 minutes to 1 hour long, and start promptly at the scheduled time.
After your Kickoff Call, for all regular coaching sessions, you will need to send your coach your prep at least 24 hours prior to your coaching session (preferably further in advance so your coach can effectively prep for you). As a general rule if your coach has time to prepare for your conversation, the better they can show up for you. (which means you get better results from your coach. which is good for you and us!)
Unless we’ve discussed otherwise, you and your coach will schedule a recurring conversation and space them out evenly within the duration of coaching.
(Take note of the time zone as you schedule sessions — We once had a client accidentally schedule in Alaska time and none of us were in Alaska!)
We recommend that we have your sessions via video call on Zoom, because video is usually more personal, fun and effective.
If you specifically requested that we connect by phone instead Zoom, you will call your coach at your appointment time. Easy peasy.
After your coaching conversation, (if applicable) your coach will send you a follow-up email with my notes from the conversation, along with any additional helpful homework items or resource links. NOTE: We often send followup, but believe that the responsibility is yours to make sure you’ve captured and understand your action items and homework from each session!
Coaching Duration Expectation Agreement:
Monthly Coaching Support Plans (and plans on a monthly payment)
- To make sure you keep moving forward, you must use your paid-for coaching conversations within 30 days of the billing if monthly (it doesn’t serve either one of us if you space them out more than intended) or before the total coaching time period if paid in full (ex. If you paid for 3 months of weekly sessions, make sure you use all your sessions within 12 weeks as unused sessions are not good past the coaching term)
- If you were set up on recurring monthly billing that is not payments for a defined coaching package: When you get your results or anytime you and your coach agree you’re ready to complete coaching , we can joyfully wrap up the coaching relationship. But be mindful that this is a process, takes time, and that there is a natural “dip” phase that hits right around Month 2-3 where we should plan to re-focus and start knocking down the barriers to your success. As long as you’ve given us 7 days notice (before your recurring subscription renews) then we can cancel the billing. (This means that when you’re ready, you can cancel anytime, you just need to give us more than 7 days notice otherwise your subscription will continue for the following month)
- There are no refunds on unused coaching.
Unlimited or “All Inclusive Coaching” Plans (also known as “Accelerated” or “Guaranteed” plans)
- If you’ve chosen an “Unlimited Coaching” plan you may schedule as many sessions as you need within the month or coaching period. This is subject, of course, to you and your coach’s availability and “Unlimited” does not mean available at every moment or at during all hours of the day and night.
- “Guaranteed” means that we will keep working with you until you A) Receive and accept an offer or opportunity B) 2 years passes since the beginning of service C) You receive 5 job offers or opportunities or D) your goals change and you decide you no longer need our help with your career change (Whichever comes first)
- There are no refunds on unused coaching.
Coaching Session Usage:
You must use your coaching sessions within the time period.
Example A: if you’ve purchased coaching 4 times/ month for 3 months you will want to make sure you have 4 sessions scheduled each 30 days. (unused sessions are forfeited past your timeframe in which you purchased)
Example B: if you’ve purchased month to month coaching, make sure all of your first month’s sessions are scheduled within 30 days from your registration date or the date you start coaching. Then before your subscription recurs, do the same for each month following.
Example C – If you’ve purchased coaching 2 times/ month for 6 months you will want to make sure you have at least 2 sessions minimum within the month. (unused sessions are forfeited past your timeframe in which you purchased)
The important part – If there are any unused sessions at the time of end date they will be lost. And we loathe to not deliver on any purchased sessions. So work with your coach to schedule all of your sessions up front and we can help!
But what if something happens?
The Reasons We Don’t Pause Sessions:
As a general rule we don’t pause sessions. That said HTYC fully understands that life events happen and sometimes we need to pause sessions as our priorities change.
We work through a need for pause on a case-by-case basis, but pauses are usually due to a large life event such as a death, an acute illness, etc.
Sometimes we think we want to pause sessions when our life demands increase such as a busy season at work for us or a spouse, increased parenting demands, travel, locusts, increased volunteering commitment, etc. These situations are great opportunities to work through tough questions with your coach on assessing values and priorities. While we love helping clients with these challenges, we don’t pause services for them. They are valuable teachers.
How we communicate outside of coaching calls:
We want to ensure you make tons of progress in between sessions. Some of the biggest moments in coaching happen while you are doing the work in between calls – and your coach will be there to support and cheer you on every step along the way. However, We typically allocate 60 minutes to responding to emails each day so we can maximize coaching time with clients like you, and know that means we need to be extra efficient in the way we reply.
Beyond the scheduled coaching conversations, your coach will be available for you to send email or text status updates and accountability check-in notes
- These types of messages will always be read, and will probably receive a 4-sentence (or shorter) reply or a video back from your coach.
- These emails from you can be updates, requests for specific feedback and progress celebrations, but not huge existential questions (as those are better discussed over video and no email reply on the earth is likely to answer those)
For queries or questions that require more than a 4-sentence response from your coach, keep track of them as great discussion topics for our next coaching conversation. You can always reschedule a coaching session to be sooner in time (EX: if you’ve gotten a job offer and want to run through how to position your negotiation response)
This framework ensures you feel empowered to keep moving when you hit a roadblock, and to find the answer that works best for you, ensuring you’ve exhausted your resourcefulness and pushed yourself. The more momentum you generate, the faster your transition will happen, so we definitely don’t want you waiting on a response from your coach!
Set yourself up for success with coaching:
Your success is your responsibility and is 100% within your control.
we wish we could jump in and do some of the tough work for you, but we’ve seen time and time again that you will be incredibly empowered and confident after doing the work yourself!
Here are some smart tips to ensure you get the maximum amount out of this partnership:
- Define what success looks like for you. Is it having additional perspective and resources to make a big career transition successfully? Is it having accountability for getting back into full-time work that fits your lifestyle needs? Is it learning a framework for decision-making and determining your priorities so you pick the best graduate program? Only you know the answer to this, so get it all down on paper so we have a clear vision of what success will look like for you when you achieve it.
- Do the work. You are making a serious investment in your career fulfillment, so double down on the process to get the results you want. Scared by a homework assignment? Who isn’t? Feel the feelings, and do it anyway. If you’re not committed to doing a homework assignment, tell your coach that and we can figure out how to ensure you’re moving forward the way you want.
- Prep in advance. Come to the coaching conversation with a list of prepared topics or ideas for discussion. We are happy to suggest some if you’ve hit a roadblock, but knowing what a valuable outcome from a coaching session will be will ensure you get it. This must be completed at least 24 hours prior to your coaching session.
- Be present. Shut down anything that might be distracting so you can be 100% present and in tune with your deepest self. This could include your phone, email, Slack/GChat, background music, etc.
- Be patient. Big, gutsy life change doesn’t happen overnight, and more often than not, it will take more time than you’re expecting or hoping to make your change. Learning, applying, and changing based on new information takes time, so give yourself some grace and space to make some mistakes. Remember, because we are dynamically growing humans, there is no such thing as the forever “perfect” job or a “final” career move.
Your mantras for success:
- Everything is progress.
- There is no such thing as a bad outcome.
- Every assumption deserves to be questioned. Limiting beliefs hide in many forms, and will hinder your potential and your progress.
- Fear can’t paralyze an already moving target — so keep taking baby action steps, even when that feels impossible.
- I’m not the first person to feel this way. I’m not alone.
- I’m not stupid. I’m brave.
- Even Beyonce didn’t do it overnight.
This deserves space all for itself: keep your scheduled commitment.
Emergencies (like being in the hospital) within 24-hours are an exception. We think it’s important to say this: do not cancel a coaching session because you didn’t do your homework. (That’s usually the most important time to do a coaching conversation.)
High performers don’t compromise on the commitments they make to themselves, so if someone asks if you can jump into a last-minute kickoff meeting for a new project, teach them to respect your time by politely but firmly saying no.
As high performers do, you need to show up to your coaching sessions even if you’ve missed one of your action items
To reschedule a conversation with more than 24 hours’ notice, use the rescheduling link within the calendar invite to cancel and rebook your appointment. (This link is included in both the calendar invite and the confirmation email you will receive from Acuity.) This must be done a minimum of 24 hours before the coaching session is scheduled to begin. If you cancel with less than 24 hours’ notice or no-show for a session, your coaching session will be forfeited without refund.
Your coach will work with you to re-schedule a session as close as possible to it’s original time. Sometimes that may mean having two sessions in one week or getting creative to do so.
Confidentiality is critical to our relationship–our coaching sessions are strictly confidential. Any subject discussed and/or items shared, including such things as personal information, future plans, proprietary information, goals, job and company information, recordings, notes of sessions, transcripts will remain confidential within Happen To Your Career. We will not share outside our company unless you give us permission to do so. It’s important to note that from time to time your coach will share portions of your situation with other coaches on our team to get feedback and serve you better.
You are responsible for paying for coaching according to the terms we discussed in your “fit” conversation, using the appropriate online link. If you didn’t do the recurring billing option, it is your responsibility to be current on payment prior to the first coaching conversation, otherwise your scheduled session time will be forfeited.
We improve our service through positive (and constructive) client feedback. If you feel so compelled and have received value from our sessions, we would greatly appreciate your testimonial for potential future marketing use.
If we ever say or do anything that upsets you or doesn’t feel right, please bring it to your coach’s attention. Part of the coaching relationship will likely involve disagreement or sharing uncomfortable perspectives for the purposes of growth, but if we’ve made a mistake or disrespected you, we promise to do what is necessary to have you be satisfied. Honesty and trust are critical for our relationship to grow. we want this to be an open and safe place for you to come with confidence.
THE FINE PRINT
As the coachee, you understand and agree that your coach is not an “employment agent,” “business manager,” “financial analyst” or “psychotherapist” and that we have not promised, shall not be obligated to, and will not:
(1) procure or attempt to procure any employment, business or sales for me, (2) perform any business management functions such as accounting services, advice on tax matters or the investment of funds, and (3) will not act as a therapist, counseling me or providing psychoanalysis, group therapy or behavioral therapy. you further understand and agree that as a specialized form of consulting, Coaching is not the same as professional or licensed therapy; and that you are always free to reject any advice, suggestions or requests made by the coach at any time. My coach is authorized and encouraged to be direct and unconditionally supportive.
You also understand and agree that coaching is not a form of currency and not refundable once purchased.