About Al Smith
If you're looking to give your job hunt a shot in the arm and vastly improve your chances of being found by the right people, you're in the right place.
Al Smith spent 35 years working in management, sales, marketing, and training for such companies as Xerox, Kimberly-Clark, and Systema. Now he's the Director of the Unity North Atlanta Career Ministry in Marietta, GA. The ministry focuses on helping all people, regardless of their faith to “reclaim their position in the workplace.” His new book with co-author Jeff Sheehan is called HIRED! Paths to Employment in the Social Media Era and is available now!
Al spent two “miserable years” in career transition. He found that the strategies he'd always relied on no longer worked. Improving his resumé alone wasn't enough. Scouring the job boards wasn't helping. Even networking wasn't giving him the results he needed.
He started to dig deeper into the recruiting process, trying to understand exactly how hiring managers and HR personnel were using resources like Linkedin to find candidates. He then learned how to leverage his findings into crafting and building his online presence to ensure that he would be found in searches.
Al recommends using the Advanced Search function on Linkedin to search titles and job descriptions and to find valuable and relevant keywords to use in your own profile:
Find the Advanced search function next to the main search window at the top of the page.
Once inside the Advanced search, you can widen or narrow your searches by adding or removing parameters and keywords.
What You Will Learn:
- What a Boolean search is and why it matters in your job search.
- 5 actionable steps you can take TODAY to boost your visibility on Linkedin.
- What you can do offline to greatly improve your chances of getting noticed by your potential employer of choice.
Relevant Links and Resources:
Tools mentioned in the episode:
For more info on personal branding:
For more information on getting clear on what you want in your career and then taking action:
- The HTYC Mindset: Identify the Results You Want First!
- HTYC 049 The Magic of Motion with Ritchie Norton
- HTYC 054 Revolutionize Your Career with CK Bray
- HTYC 061 How to Approach Your Career Scientifically with Adarsh Pandit
- HTYC 062 Merging Identities as Part of Your Career Transition with Chris Wilson
- HTYC 064 Passion Project to Dream Job with Mark McClung
- HTYC 069 It’s Now or Never with Doc Kennedy
- HTYC 071 Get Intentional, Get Results with Olivia Gamber
Get in touch with Al!
Love the show?
Subscribe to the Happen to Your Career podcast:
We would LOVE it if you would consider leaving us a review! Each review allows us to reach more folks just like you and help them “Happen” to their careers!
Want help finding the work that fits YOU?