ABOUT OLIVIA GAMBER
Olivia Gamber has climbed up the corporate ladder quickly and at a super-young age, is now the Manager of Talent and Organizational Development at Taylor Morrison. She tackled her post-graduation career uncertainty in a way that set her apart from the rest of the pack. Through self-discovery and intentional action she was able to launch an impressive career and now she’s helping her Gen Y peers to do the same through OccupationalOlivia.com.
Beforegraduating with a Master’s Degree in Industrial and Organizational Psychology Olivia started researching possible careers for herself and began reaching out to people she felt could help her in her search. Sending out as many as 10 messages PER WEEK to people she’d had introductions with, but also to people she didn’t know personally at all, she requested a few moments of time to learn about their different career paths. Olivia not only got the information she was after but also greatly expanded her network AND found her first position through one of these contacts.
The insights she gained through these conversations allowed Olivia to “get inside the minds of hiring managers” and to effectively market herself as an ideal candidate.
By focusing on what she wanted on the “front end”, Olivia was able to avoid spending time and energy on the non-targeted activities that she says hold back most of her peers. But it didn’t stop there. She took what she learned and stepped out into the job market. The job market is where you will get the critical feedback you need to continue growing in and shaping your career path.
You can only go so far just sitting in your room thinking about your wants and your dreams – ultimately it has to intersect with the market.
Grab Olivia’s FREE 3-day Career Breakthrough course here!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- How you can stand out from the crowd by being proactive and following up after initiating contact with someone.
- The importance of building and nurturing relationships.
- How to start gaining clarity on what you want in your career and then how to get there through taking persistent and intentional action.
- Why being bored in your job is something that’s very much in YOUR control (and NOT your boss’s fault after all!) how you can combat it!
RELEVANT LINKS AND RESOURCES
How Can I Be So Bored If I’m So Busy? – Olivia’s Linkedin Pulse article mentioned in the episode
Get Olivia’s FREE 3-day Career Breakthrough video course! It will help you get unstuck and get on the path to finding work you love!
For more information on taking action and discovering the work that fits you:
- The HTYC Mindset: Identify the Results You Want First!
- HTYC 049 The Magic of Motion with Ritchie Norton
- HTYC 054 Revolutionize Your Career with CK Bray
- HTYC 061 How to Approach Your Career Scientifically with Adarsh Pandit – ***mentioned in the episode***
- HTYC 062 Merging Identities as Part of Your Career Transition with Chris Wilson
- HTYC 064 Passion Project to Dream Job with Mark McClung
- HTYC 069 It’s Now or Never with Doc Kennedy
For more information on growing and maintaining your network:
- HTYC Episode 044 No, Really! Relationships are What Take You Places!
- HTYC Episode 045 Become Awesome at Networking in 20 Minutes per Day…without Going to Networking Events!
- HTYC Episode 057 Networking with Purpose with Mark Sieverkropp
GET IN TOUCH WITH OLIVIA!
Facebook: Occupational Olivia
LOVE THE SHOW? SUBSCRIBE TO THE HAPPEN TO YOUR CAREER PODCAST:
WE WOULD LOVE IT IF YOU WOULD LEAVE US A REVIEW! EACH REVIEW ALLOWS US TO REACH MORE FOLKS JUST LIKE YOU AND HELP THEM “HAPPEN” TO THEIR CAREERS!
WANT HELP FINDING THE WORK THAT FITS YOU?
Ready for Career Happiness?
What Career Fits You?
Finally figure out what you should be doing for work
Join our 8-day “Mini-Course” to figure it out. It’s free!
April 17, 2017
174: Add Value, Grow Your Career with Michael Bigelow
IT’S ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT THE LIKABILITY AND CONNECTION CERTAINLY DO HELP. BUT IT’S ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT I REALLY DO FEEL THAT IT’S BOTH WHO YOU KNOW AND HOW YOU’RE CONNECTED TO THEM, AS WELL AS WHAT YOU KNOW. MICHAEL BIGELOW Whether you’re looking to make a lateral job transition to a […]
January 21, 2019
267: 3 Creative and Strategic Ways to Show Your Strengths to Interviewers
Everywhere you look these days, you can find articles sharing why focusing on your strengths is more valuable than improving your weaknesses. Using your signature strengths in your role means you can be energized instead of drained, engaged instead of bored, and successful instead of struggling. When it comes down to it, working in your […]