ABOUT THIS EPISODE
Ok. Let’s talk. Today we’re digging deep into what’s REALLY stopping you from finding what you want in your career.
Have you taken jobs just because they were available?
Have you started a new job thinking it would be something that it turned out not to be?
Are you stuck trying to decide what to do next?
Most people think finding work that fits them starts with looking forward into the future. We think it starts with looking backwards. Most people will work their entire careers without ever truly figuring out what makes them happy. We don’t want you to be most people.
We’ll lay out the most common barriers to figuring out what you want and show you how to break through them!
The reality is there’s NOTHING that’s going to be perfect, OR even if there was, you’re not going to know about it without getting some of these experiences.Scott
The key to figuring out what you want lies in knowing what makes you happy. Finding out what makes you happy largely comes with taking action.
What do I love enough to do for free?
What do I do that causes time to feel differently (or causes me to lose track of time)?
If I had to teach something, what would I teach?
What makes me feel great about myself?
What is something that’s hurt in the past that you don’t want others to go through?
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- The three most common barriers to figuring out what you want and how to overcome them.
- Why looking at your past instead of into your future is the best place to start looking at what makes you happy.
- How to build and maintain motivation to make a career change.
Our challenge to you: Identify which of the three barriers is holding YOU back from figuring out what you want and tell us (in the comments or drop us an email) ONE action you can take today to begin to remove it!
RELEVANT LINKS AND RESOURCES
Our 6-part podcast series (with Mark Sieverkropp) on figuring out what you want in your career:
- HTYC 026 What are your strengths? (Part 1)
- HTYC 027 What are your strengths? (Part 2)
- HTYC 028 What You Want… It’s NOT what you think!
- HTYC 029 Do you know what YOU want in life?
- HTYC 031 Matching Opportunities with Wants
- HTYC 032 Make a Decision Already!
For more information on getting clear on what you want and then taking action:
- The HTYC Mindset: Identify the Results You Want First!
- HTYC 049 The Magic of Motion with Ritchie Norton
- HTYC 054 Revolutionize Your Career with CK Bray
- HTYC 061 How to Approach Your Career Scientifically with Adarsh Pandit
- HTYC 062 Merging Identities as Part of Your Career Transition with Chris Wilson
- HTYC 064 Passion Project to Dream Job with Mark McClung
- HTYC 069 It’s Now or Never with Doc Kennedy
- HTYC 071 Get Intentional, Get Results with Olivia Gamber
- HTYC 074 Fear Means “Go!” with Greg Faxon
Also mentioned in the episode:
GET IN TOUCH WITH US!
LOVE THE SHOW? SUBSCRIBE TO THE HAPPEN TO YOUR CAREER PODCAST:
WE WOULD LOVE IT IF YOU WOULD CONSIDER LEAVING US A REVIEW! EACH REVIEW ALLOWS US TO REACH MORE FOLKS JUST LIKE YOU AND HELP THEM “HAPPEN” TO THEIR CAREERS!
Get the support, information, and encouragement you need to move to work you’ll love!
WANT HELP FINDING THE WORK THAT FITS YOU?
Ready for Career Happiness?
What Career Fits You?
Finally figure out what you should be doing for work
Join our 8-day “Mini-Course” to figure it out. It’s free!
April 17, 2017
174: Add Value, Grow Your Career with Michael Bigelow
IT’S ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT THE LIKABILITY AND CONNECTION CERTAINLY DO HELP. BUT IT’S ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT I REALLY DO FEEL THAT IT’S BOTH WHO YOU KNOW AND HOW YOU’RE CONNECTED TO THEM, AS WELL AS WHAT YOU KNOW. MICHAEL BIGELOW Whether you’re looking to make a lateral job transition to a […]
January 21, 2019
267: 3 Creative and Strategic Ways to Show Your Strengths to Interviewers
Everywhere you look these days, you can find articles sharing why focusing on your strengths is more valuable than improving your weaknesses. Using your signature strengths in your role means you can be energized instead of drained, engaged instead of bored, and successful instead of struggling. When it comes down to it, working in your […]